Thursday, July 17, 2008

Some Assembly Required

When I had a sewing project and borrowed a machine from DG (the Doting Grandmother) I realized my sewing experience was pretty minimal, and I had to rediscover how to use it. It was fun to play around with the different stitch settings on some scraps of fabric, finding many different wrong ways to sew a hem, along with a workable one. I found myself noticing the various stitches and embroidery on the baby clothing. The edges are mostly overlock which of course requires a serger, but it was fun to find out what is possible with what I had.

We have a lot of books and advice and even classes but the whole baby-raising process also seems to be learning as you go, finding things out by trial and error. Things like our baby currently being a morning person (unlike her parents), that canned formula seems to cause more gas than powdered type, that spinning around in circles is calming, and that lying flat on mommy was restful in month one but not month two.

Meanwhile, if I'm not imagining things, little RR is piecing together some things on her own. For example, she has gone from mad-orchestra-conductor mode with no hand control, to something like intentional movement, sometimes holding her shirt or bib. Now at 11 weeks she also sounds different, at least to me. What had been random squeaks are now more like babbles, with some definite syllables showing up. Hear for yourself: Babble-July17.mp3

6 comments:

tom said...

my 4 year old son says "the baby" says "who's that?" and "good one."

meanwhile, my pregnant wife tears up at anything remote resembling a baby, so you can imagine what the sound clip did. . .

Anonymous said...

DG # 2 loves hearing the babble!

Greg Karnos said...

I played the clip and my cats freaked out. They've had a few baby-encounters before, and they were lookin all over for what was making the baby noises.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Both Born Free and Sassy Mam bottle have funky "venting" components that supposedly cut down on colic/gas. I would love to see you do some of your famous experiments on them!!

Fourth Breakfast

Anonymous said...

Having learned a lot of languages, I'd say that's definitely one of them! Can't wait to wake up my own two and have them hear.

Anonymous said...

(er - sorry. slip of keyboard. Guess I'm also 'lo' ;-) )