Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Not entirely accurate

Sometimes I get obsessed with details. Particularly when measurements are involved, I like to have things accurate. I suppose that's why I have a scale with more precision than anyone needs to weigh letters, even though that's mostly what I use it for. It came with a nice brass 200 g proof weight, which the scale reports to be 200.01 grams.

Just for fun, I measured the 5 oz Medela bottles that we have been using for feeding RR, and found that they are not so precise as one might like. In particular, "5 oz" of water is actually a bit over 5.3 oz. Now, we feed her as much as she wants anyway, so this makes no practical difference. I just think Medela could do better with their bottle markings. The 2 oz "snappie" bottle we got at the hospital, which looks like a graduated cylinder with a snap-top cap measures to be 1.9885 oz which seems pretty good to me. 5 oz in the Adiri 8 oz measures 5.217 oz and Dr. Brown's 4 oz reads 4.157 oz.

2 comments:

Lady M said...

You should write Medela! Maybe their legal department will respond, just like the company that made the fan.

You can imagine how it drives me crazy how I have *no idea* how much Buster is consuming when he's nursing.

Waltzing with Widgets said...

Yes, I suppose there are many milk dispensing units with no scale marks at all! :-) If you really wanted to, you could use one of the digital baby scales before and after feeding... the one we have reads out to 10 grams (0.35 oz) and it is repeatable, if she isn't fussing too much.