Monday, June 9, 2008

Parties and Celebrations

Saturday was the combination baby shower and farewell party for a dance friend. During the busy past month, I admit my self-centered vision had narrowed to the point of wondering how I could be going to another baby shower now... after all, we had already had our baby, and that was pretty much the last word on the subject of babies, surely? At any rate I set off to this event all footloose and fancy-free and trying not to think of T's travails at home with our little milk-fountain (who by day's end would soak her way through seven outfits.)

The party was a well-organized event replete with food and games, and included several other not-seen-for-months friends with their new babies in tow! Beyond all expectation, it seems the outside world has kept turning after all.

We were asked to choose some pattern, design or words of wisdom to decorate a quilt square in honor of the baby-to-be. With the guest of honor being a skilled dancer, my first thought was some dancing figure, but my best attempts at a sketch only suggested the extreme opposite of grace and poise. I decided that a repeating pattern of baby steps were a better match for my drawing skills. If they might double as some kind of riff on the Arthur Murray dance footprints from the 1920s, so much the better.

The other weekend event was T's birthday on Sunday, in honor of which her aunt treated us to a fine brunch while we enjoyed a visit with T's grandmother. Fortunately, RR was on her best behavior for the day, and reduced her earlier impressive output down to comparatively minor spit-up incidents. It was a pleasant day with enough smiles and hugs and pancakes and strawberries to keep everyone happy.

6 comments:

Shirley said...

a. I think you did a good job on the quilt square.

b. I'm impressed by the diaper cake someone made!

Lady M said...

Happy birthday to T!

We had quite the fountain of milk today too.

Greg Karnos said...

Where was brunch??

Waltzing with Widgets said...

Wow, two more blog readers- welcome! I think my readership has now doubled in size... Aunt K came over to our place to make brunch, as she did on Mother's Day. She's great!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have the same feeling sometimes. Particularly--that my baby is the cutest baby ever!! :) Happy birthday wishes and hope the geysering is less this week.

Fourth Breakfast

Anonymous said...

"Beyond all expectation, it seems the outside world has kept turning after all."

It is completely astounding how that happens, huh? :-D

I'm glad someone pointed out that it was a diaper cake, which went right over my head - V-E-R-Y impressive.

So glad you both are getting fun-time as well as baby-time.