Thursday, May 1, 2008

Stirred, not shaken

It appears my practical chemistry skills are sadly lacking. It had not occurred to me that mixing a powder with water just by vigorous shaking would produce a lot of trapped gas in the form of bubbles, which might, if served immediately to a newborn, eventually produce volcanic results. An eruption which a few feeble pats on the back do nothing to prevent. (Interestingly, the nurse recommends burping both before and after feeding.) The problem seems to be solved by careful slow stirring to mix, instead of shaking.

On another note, it is quite humbling to a previously independent-minded person to experience the practical demands of childcare. The invaluable support and assistance of T's mother and aunt are most gratefully acknowledged!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. I remember the eruptions - out one end or the other. Oh, my - yes :-)!

Mazurka said...

Bud was a barfer. Regardless of how the formula/milk was prepared and served, he barfed after almost every meal. I think he probably upchucked a total of 10-20% of what he ate over the first year or so. Buster seems to be much more tolerant, however, with only the occasional barf. I sure hope that keeps up.

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, on our formula instructions it says shake. The bottle instructions say to stir the formula.

Fourth Breakfast

Waltzing with Widgets said...

The instructions do say shake. It might be that I was too quick feeding her (she was not in a patient mood.) I assume the longer you wait, the more bubbles will go away.