Thursday, May 22, 2008

Terra Incognita

It is certainly true that a baby offers many novel experiences for a new dad. Here's a few:

Interactive TV. She'd had a tummy upset earlier, but was happy enough now so I changed into a clean shirt and we settled down in front of the TV. It was a PBS documentary on the explosion of Krakatoa in 1883. After some initial mid-size explosions there were some months of calm, when people assumed the worst was over. We sat on the sofa and RR worked quietly on finishing the bottle. Then came loud explosions on Aug. 26th, and on the 27, suddenly... Kerblooie! With precise timing, an unexpected and powerful volcano erupted right in my lap. Quite stunning, TV was never like this before. Full change of clothing for both of us, this time. (photo from wikipedia)

New social situations. With T at home taking care of the baby, the resupply mission was up to me. I ventured boldly into that grocery store aisle that men seldom tread. There was one other person in the aisle too. I hung around a bit, looked up and down. Are they going to leave? ...no, they are not. At last, I muttered quietly into the cell phone. "No, sweetie, all I'm seeing here is ultra-thin and maxi, there doesn't seem to be a 'normal' size. ...and looks like they're all scented... no wait, here's one that isn't, but it's only available in the special thong shape."

After a long pause, the man standing next to me muttered into his cell phone. "Honey, I can't find any like that, it looks like all of them have the wings."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love both your stories:)

Fourth Breakfast

Anonymous said...

ROFL. OMG, I love it. I have only twice sent my spouse of 20 years into THE aisle (and I think it'll stay at that, too...)